Carbs… Everyone’s favourite C-word. Except you’re going to have to fork up everyone’s second favourite C-word: CASH, if you want to buy some high-quality spelt bread. This healthy vegan spelt bread recipe is both delicious and inexpensive.
Spelt bread isn’t cheap, with some of my favourite brands costing up to $6.95 CAN for a loaf of bread.
Bread is a staple dish, it’s one of the first things you eat when you’re born, it’s one of your favourite things to eat as you get older, bread is always a part of our life. But let’s face it, white bread filled with enhanced white flour and refined white sugar aren’t the best for us.
But what if we could make bread that was both good for us, and really inexpensive? Bring in spelt bread.
This recipe is easy to make (especially if you have a bread maker) and tastes absolutely delicious. I love to pair this with my “Better Than Smuckers” Jam recipe for an outright delicious and easy on-the-go breakfast.
Easy Vegan Spelt Bread
- 4 Cups Light Spelt Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast (1 pack)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Natural cane sugar (or refined white sugar)
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together the water, oil, sugar and yeast. let it sit for 5-10 minutes, or until frothy.
- Using your hands, or a dough attachment on a stand mixer, slowly mix the spelt flour with the wet mixture.
- Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
- grease a large bowl to place the dough in. Cover the bowl with a warm damp cloth. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (220C)
- Punch dough down, then place in a loaf pan, or form it into an oval and leave it on a baking sheet and score the top for an artisan look.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on if you enjoy your crust crispy or not.