There are 3 things I love in this life, peanut butter, maple syrup, and anything salty. Unfortuentkt for me I never had a reason to bring all 3 of these things together… Until now.
I know what you’re thinking ”that sounds gross!” well I wouldn’t knock it until you try it. This dish is absolutely delicious. I actually originally created it as a way to eat raw garlic as part of Dr. Greger’s daily dozen. I knew all the wonderful things raw garlic did to my body, but I had no way of actually getting it into my body without wanting to hurl. That is where this dish came into play.
I knew that some Asian dishes had a peanut butter sauce that was both sweet and salty. I also knew that they featured amazing root vegetables like garlic and ginger. (two things i was desperately trying to eat more of).
One day I was looking in my fridge trying to decide what to do with the head of cauliflower and broccoli I had. I started by cutting both into big size pieces. Then (being lazy) put the pieces into a bowl and added a 1/4 cup of water then put it in the microwave for 4 minutes
After the broccoli and cauliflower were cooked I figured I would be brave and chip up some raw garlic and ginger.
I knew I wanted it to be saucy, so I added 1tbs of peanut butter, 1tsp of soy sauce and 1tsp of maple syrup.
I mixed my creation together, really not knowing how it would all taste. To my surprise, it was freaking delicious. It was so good that I ran over to my girlfriend and forced her to try it. She, to my surprise,
I finally created a healthy dish that was not only easy to make, but one that not my girlfriend and I actually enjoyed!
Since then I’ve been obsessed with this dish and eat it nearly every single day. I’ll even include some red cabbage, green beans or whatever random vegetable I have laying around the house!
This dish was made to be easy and nutritious but if you’re more worried about the taste is recommend checking out my dinner version of this dish. It features cooked garlic and a thick sticky sauce.
The version of this dish that we are talking about today, on the other hand, will leave a soupy puddle at the bottom of your bowl. (which tastes delicious by the way). Anyway, let’s jump into the recipe!
Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Broccoli Cauliflower Bowl
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 tbs peanut butter natural
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic Finley Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Finley chopped
- Chop the broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces and place them into a microwave safe bowl. Add 1/4 cup of water and put in the microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- While broccoli and cauliflower are cooking mince garlic and finely chop the ginger into extremely small pieces. (you can also use a fine cheese grater for this)
- Once broccoli and cauliflower have finished cooking, remove from microwave and strain excess water. Place broccoli and cauliflower back into the bowl.
- Begin adding all other ingredients, then mix well. (I recommend using a Tupperware container with a lid and shaking) serve immediately